Welcome to Ranikhet, a charming hill station nestled in the lap of the Himalayas. When you explore Ranikhet, you’ll discover a treasure trove of beautiful places to visit. Let’s embark on this journey together!
One of the key highlights in Ranikhet is the abundance of beautiful places to visit. The town is blessed with lush green forests, picturesque meadows, and panoramic views of the majestic mountains. If you’re a nature enthusiast, you’ll find serenity at Chaubatia Gardens, where the aroma of fruit orchards fills the air. Don’t miss the tranquil Rani Jheel, an artificial lake ideal for boating and relaxation. For history buffs, the Kumaon Regimental Centre Museum offers a glimpse into the valiant past of the Indian Army.
Whether you seek tranquility amidst nature or a dose of history, the places to visit in Ranikhet promise to make your trip unforgettable. So, get ready to explore Ranikhet and create lasting memories!.
1. Chaubatia Gardens: Where Nature Blooms
Located about 10 km south of Ranikhet, Chaubatia Gardens is a botanical paradise that offers a breathtaking view of the surrounding Himalayan peaks. Spread over an expansive area, the gardens are known for their fruit orchards, including apples, apricots, peaches, and various alpine fruits. The well-maintained lawns, colorful flowers, and the sweet fragrance of the fruit trees make it a perfect spot for a leisurely stroll.
Things to Do in Chaubatia Gardens
- Explore the fruit orchards and learn about different varieties of apples and other fruits.
- Enjoy a picnic amidst the picturesque surroundings.
- Capture memorable photographs with the snow-capped Himalayas as the backdrop.
- Visit the government-run fruit research center and learn about the cultivation and preservation of various fruits.
2. Haidakhan Temple: A Divine Abode
Situated in the Chidianuala area of Ranikhet, Haidakhan Temple is a spiritual haven dedicated to Haidakhan Babaji, believed to be an incarnation of Lord Shiva. The temple was constructed by Haidakhan himself and is known for its serene ambiance and beautiful surroundings. Visitors can spend moments of tranquility, meditate, and seek blessings at this holy site.
Things to Do in Haidakhan Temple
- Participate in the daily aarti (prayer ceremony) and experience the divine atmosphere.
- Explore the temple complex and admire the unique architecture.
- Engage in meditation and find inner peace amidst the peaceful surroundings.
- Take part in spiritual discourses and learn about the teachings of Haidakhan Babaji.
Related Article: A guide to must-visit places in Almora
3. Jhula Devi Temple: Seeking Blessings
Located about 6 kilometers from Ranikhet, Jhula Devi Temple is a renowned shrine dedicated to Goddess Durga. The temple is known for its cluster of elegantly designed bells, which are believed to fulfill the wishes of devotees. It is said that the temple was built to protect the villagers from wild animals, and over time, the offering of bells became a tradition. The temple also has a small museum that showcases the history and significance of the temple.
Things to Do in Jhula Devi Temple
- Offer prayers and seek the blessings of Goddess Durga.
- Experience the unique sound of the bells and witness the spiritual energy.
- Explore the museum and learn about the temple’s history and folklore.
- Take a leisurely walk around the temple premises and enjoy the peaceful surroundings.
Binsar Mahadev Temple: A Spiritual Retreat Amidst Nature and Wildlife
The Binsar Mahadev Mandir is an ancient temple in Bisaona about 19 kms from Ranikhet . Situated within the limit of Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary, the shrine is one of the most visited temples in Uttarakhand. It was built in the 10th century by King Pithu and is dedicated to Lord Shiva, who is worshipped as Bindeshwar and so the temple is also known as Bindeshwar Mahadev Temple. Along with the idol of Mahisasuramardini, the temple also houses the idols of Lord Ganesha and Goddess Gauri.
The architecture of the Temple follows the traditional Kumaoni style which is characterized by the use of wood, mud and stone. The main shrine is made of stone and is shaped like a cone. The entire temple premise is surrounded by lush green Deodar forests, providing a tranquil and peaceful environment.
Things to Do in Binsar Mahadev Temple
- Enjoy the 1 km trek to the temple which is a bit tough, but worthwhile.
- Explore the traditional Kumaon villages enroute to the temple.
- Immerse yourself in the views of the Himalayan peaks which is a visual treat.
- Indulge in some photography as you take the scenic trek to the temple.
Related Article: Places to Visit & Things to Do in Mukteshwar – Your Ultimate Guide
4. Upat Golf Course: Tee Off Amidst Nature
Considered one of the highest golf courses in Asia, Upat Golf Course, also known as Ranikhet Golf Course, offers a unique golfing experience amidst the natural beauty of Ranikhet. The 9-hole golf course is known for its challenging layout and panoramic views of the snow-capped Himalayas. Golf enthusiasts can enjoy a round of golf while being surrounded by lush greenery and majestic mountains.
Things to Do in Upat Golf Course
- Play a round of golf and test your skills on this challenging course.
- Enjoy the breathtaking views of the Himalayas and the surrounding landscapes.
- Take golf lessons from experienced instructors and improve your swing.
- Relax in the clubhouse and indulge in delicious snacks and beverages
5. Majkhali: Beauty in Simplicity
Situated at a distance of 12 km from Ranikhet, Majkhali is a serene village known for its natural beauty and panoramic views of the Himalayas. The village offers a peaceful retreat away from the bustling city life, allowing visitors to connect with nature and rejuvenate their senses. Majkhali is also famous for the Goddess Kali temple, which attracts devotees from far and wide.
Things to Do in Majkhali
- Take a leisurely walk through the village and enjoy the tranquility of the surroundings.
- Visit the Majkhali Kali temple and seek blessings from the Goddess.
- Explore the nearby forests and indulge in birdwatching and nature photography.
- Enjoy a picnic amidst the natural beauty and breathtaking views of the Himalayas.
6. Bhalu Dam: A Tranquil Reservoir
Located about 5 km from Ranikhet, Bhalu Dam is a reservoir nestled in the midst of idyllic forests. The dam is a perfect spot for a peaceful picnic, complete with the soothing sound of birds, gentle breeze, and snow-capped valleys in the distance. However, the water level in the dam is typically low, except during the monsoon season. To reach the reservoir, visitors need to trek for about 3 km, making it an adventure in itself.
Things to Do in Bhalu Dam
- Enjoy a picnic with your loved ones amidst the serene surroundings.
- Observe the diverse bird species that inhabit the area.
- Trek to the dam and enjoy the panoramic views of the surrounding landscapes.
- Capture photographs of the tranquil reservoir and its natural beauty.
Related Article: Top Places to Visit and Things to Do in Nainital: A Vacation Guide
7. Mankameshwar Temple: Serenity and Devotion
Adjacent to Narsingh Maidan in Ranikhet, Mankameshwar Temple is a popular Hindu shrine dedicated to Lord Shiva. Built in 1978 by the Kumaon Regiment of the Indian Army, the temple attracts devotees with its serene ambiance and divine vibes. The temple also houses a monastery where students learn ancient Vedas and Vedic and modern mathematics under the guidance of Sant Sri Mouni Maharaj.
Things to Do in Mankameshwar Temple
- Pay your respects to Lord Shiva and seek blessings for peace and prosperity.
- Explore the beautiful architecture of the temple and admire the intricate carvings.
- Attend the evening aarti and experience the devotional atmosphere.
- Visit the monastery and interact with the students to learn more about their studies.
8. Tarikhet Village: A Slice of Rural Charm
Located just 8 km from Ranikhet, Tarikhet is a quaint village that offers a glimpse into rural life in the Himalayas. Known for its scenic beauty and historical significance, the village was once proposed as the summer headquarters by the British rulers. Tarikhet is also famous for its association with Mahatma Gandhi, who stayed here for a considerable period during the freedom struggle.
Things to Do in Tarikhet Village
- Take a leisurely walk through the village and interact with the friendly locals.
- Visit the Gandhi Kutiya, where Mahatma Gandhi stayed during his visit to Tarikhet.
- Enjoy the panoramic views of the Himalayas and the surrounding valleys.
- Explore the nearby forests and indulge in nature walks and birdwatching.
9. Rani Jheel: A man-made Wonder
Rani Jheel is a vast reservoir, meticulously crafted for rainwater conservation by the Cantonment Board of Ranikhet. Situated amidst the natural contours formed by Kendriya Vidyalaya and Canossa Convent School, this site has become one of the much loved tourist places in Ranikhet. Nestled at an impressive altitude of 7,500 feet above sea level, the lake offers an idyllic spot for visitors to partake in the pleasure of boating.
Things to Do in Rani Jheel
- Take a leisurely walk around the lake’s perimeter, enjoying the peaceful atmosphere and beautiful views.
- Rent a paddleboat and enjoy a relaxing ride on the lake’s calm waters. It’s fun for couples and families.
- You can buy fish food and feed the fish in the lake, which can be a delightful experience, especially for kids.
- Pack a picnic and enjoy a meal with your loved ones amidst nature’s beauty.
10. Ashiyana Park: Fun and Frolic
Ashiyana Park, also known as Devdar Udhyan, is a well-maintained park located in the heart of Ranikhet. It is the first-ever theme park in Ranikhet, designed and developed by Ranikhet Cantt for children. The park offers a range of recreational activities, including swings, slides, and various play areas, making it a perfect spot for families to spend quality time together.
Things to Do in Ashiyana Park
- Let your children enjoy the various play areas and rides in the park.
- Relax on the well-manicured lawns and soak in the beauty of the surroundings.
- Enjoy a picnic with your family and friends amidst the peaceful ambiance.
- Visit the nearby market and indulge in shopping for local handicrafts and souvenirs
11. Ram Mandir Ranikhet: Spirituality Amidst Nature
Perched atop a verdant hill, Ram Mandir in Ranikhet is a sacred temple dedicated to Lord Rama. The temple can be reached by climbing a flight of stairs, offering a panoramic view of the surrounding landscapes. Besides the main temple, the complex also houses a monastery where students learn ancient Vedas and Vedic and modern mathematics under the guidance of Sant Sri Mouni Maharaj.
Things to Do in Ram Mandir Ranikhet
- Participate in the morning and evening aarti and experience the divine atmosphere.
- Admire the beautiful architecture of the temple and the intricate carvings.
- Enjoy the panoramic views of the surrounding valleys and the snow-capped Himalayas.
- Interact with the students at the monastery and learn about their studies.
12. Upat Kalika Temple: A Divine Connection
Situated about 6.2 km from Ranikhet, Upat Kalika Temple is a revered shrine dedicated to the Hindu Goddess Kali. The temple is known for its religious significance and serene surroundings. Devotees visit the temple to seek blessings and offer prayers to the powerful Goddess Kali, also known as the Mother of the Universe. The temple offers a tranquil escape from the hustle and bustle of city life.
Things to Do in Upat Kalika Temple
- Seek blessings from Goddess Kali and immerse yourself in devotion.
- Enjoy the serene ambiance and peaceful surroundings of the temple.
- Explore the nearby areas and take a leisurely walk amidst nature.
- Participate in the religious festivals celebrated with great enthusiasm.
Other Places to See in Ranikhet
Apart from the aforementioned attractions, Ranikhet offers a host of other places to explore and experience. Some of these include:
- St. Bridget Church: An old church in Ranikhet, known for its beautiful architecture and peaceful ambiance.
- Syalikhet: A scenic spot known for its natural beauty and apple orchards, offering panoramic views of the Himalayas.
- Katarmal Sun Temple: The second most important temple dedicated to the Sun God, known for its intricate sculpturing.
You may also like: Visiting Katarmal Sun Temple in the Kumaon
Ranikhet Travel Guide: Essential Information
How to Reach Ranikhet
Ranikhet can be reached by various modes of transportation:
- By Air: The nearest airport is Pantnagar Airport, approximately 110 km away from Ranikhet. From the airport, one can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach Ranikhet.
- By Rail: The nearest railway station is Kathgodam, about 80 km away from Ranikhet. From the railway station, taxis and buses are available for onward travel to Ranikhet.
- By Road: Ranikhet is well-connected by road, and regular bus services are available from major cities in Uttarakhand and nearby states.
Best Time to Visit Ranikhet
Ranikhet can be visited throughout the year, as each season offers a unique charm. However, the best time to visit is from March to June and from September to November when the weather is pleasant and ideal for sightseeing and outdoor activities. The monsoon season (July to August) should be avoided due to heavy rainfall and the possibility of landslides.
Frequently Asked Questions About Ranikhet
- Is Ranikhet a safe place to visit?
Yes, Ranikhet is a safe place to visit. However, it is always advisable to take necessary precautions and follow the local guidelines to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip.
- Are there any adventure activities available in Ranikhet?
Yes, Ranikhet offers a range of adventure activities such as trekking, camping, rappelling, and rock climbing. These activities can be enjoyed under the guidance of experienced professionals.
- Are there any accommodation options available in Ranikhet?
Yes, Ranikhet offers a wide range of accommodation options, including hotels, resorts, guesthouses, and homestays. Visitors can choose according to their preferences and budgets.
- What are the popular festivals celebrated in Ranikhet?
Some of the popular festivals celebrated in Ranikhet include Uttarayani Mela, Holi, Diwali, and Navratri. These festivals are celebrated with great enthusiasm and offer a glimpse into the local culture and traditions.
- Can I visit Ranikhet in a day trip?
While it is possible to visit Ranikhet in a day trip, it is recommended to spend at least 2-3 days to explore the major attractions and experience the tranquility of this hill station.
With its natural beauty, spiritual significance, and serene ambiance, Ranikhet offers a perfect blend of relaxation and adventure. Whether you are seeking a peaceful retreat or an adrenaline-pumping experience, Ranikhet has something to offer for everyone. Plan your visit to this enchanting hill station and create memories that will last a lifetime.